Job title: Project Leader (PL) for the Common Very Low Frequency (VLF) Receiver (CVR) Project
Job description: Why choose between doing meaningful work and having a fulfilling life? At MITRE, you can have both. That’s because MITRE people are committed to tackling our nation’s toughest challenges—and we’re committed to the long-term well-being of our employees. MITRE is different from most technology companies. We are a not-for-profit corporation chartered to work for the public interest, with no commercial conflicts to influence what we do. The R&D centers we operate for the government create lasting impact in fields as diverse as cybersecurity, healthcare, aviation, defense, and enterprise transformation. We’re making a difference every day—working for a safer, healthier, and more secure nation and world. Our workplace reflects our values. We offer competitive benefits, exceptional professional development opportunities, and a culture of innovation that embraces diversity, inclusion, flexibility, collaboration, and career growth. If this sounds like the choice you want to make, then choose MITRE—and make a difference with us.
The Nuclear Command, Control and Communications (NC3) Transition Department (N131) as part of MITRE’s AF Nuclear Enterprise Programs Division (N130) is seeking a Project Leader (PL) for the Air Force’s Common Very Low Frequency (VLF) Receiver (CVR) Project. Project Leaders (PLs) are the face of The MITRE Corporation. As MITRE’s front-line leaders, the PL interfaces with the Sponsor, and along with their department leadership teams, helps the Sponsor explore and develop solutions for their pressing challenges and mission needs (e.g. the right problems). The PL works alongside the Sponsor, while thinking ahead of the current challenge; leveraging the unique vantage point of MITRE to look across our programs and services and lead the Sponsor to identify the big problems, the right work, that need solutions.
The CVR project supports AF Nuclear Weapons Center NCN Division (AFNWC/NCN) that reports to the NC3 PEO. The PL develops and directs work plans for approximately 18-23 MITRE professionals (10 STE) to ensure the proper design, development, and fielding of the next generation of VLF receivers associated with the Nation’s nuclear bomber, tanker, and strategic aircraft. The PL is responsible for managing and executing the project to achieve sponsor outcomes and for partnering with NSEC NE leadership to work shape the project to align with the Nuclear Enterprise Strategy and NSEC level Nuclear Outcomes to achieve greater enterprise impact. MITRE’s recommendations are backed by a work program in prototyping, experimentation, scenario analysis, requirements development and understanding of industry trends.
The Project Lead is also responsible for the following:
- Providing strategic and technical leadership as a trusted advisor to the AFNWC/NC/NCN.
- Work closely with the MITRE Nuclear Priority Lead, AF Nuclear Enterprise Director, NSEC Nuclear Outcome Leads and other nuclear project leaders to develop project overall strategy.
- Work shaping – develop and define tasks and project outcomes in alignment with NC3 Modernization Outcomes, supporting enterprise/corporate level initiatives.
- Innovation- coordinate alignment of MIP/capstone/etc. to project efforts.
- Product quality control – run/conduct in-progress task/analysis reviews, peer reviews, TILs, product distribution, program execution reviews etc.
- Sponsor interaction – AFNWC/NCN senior leadership, division leadership, branch chiefs, individual Govt personnel.
- Stakeholder coordination – Coordinate across enterprise to achieve outcomes benefiting AFNWC/NCN and the enterprise as a whole.
- Project administration – Clarity, financials, project pages, meeting coordination, status reports, facility management.
- Staff management – On-boarding; handle/process requests for CAC, NIPR, SIPR, VR, SharePoint, ISIL, Secret labs, SCI, JWICS, etc.
- Typically requires a minimum of 10 years of related experience with a Bachelor’s degree; or 8 years and a Master’s degree; or a PhD with 5 years’ experience; or equivalent combination of related education and work experience.
- Applicants selected for this position will be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or applicants who are eligible for security clearances. This position requires a minimum Secret.
- Bachelor’s degree in a STEM related field and 10 years related experience.
- Active Secret Clearance and ability to obtain and maintain a TS/SCI clearance.
- Ability to coach, mentor, and advocate for all levels of staff.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Demonstrated ability in technology, leadership, system development, enterprise/systems engineering and architecture development of sophisticated systems.
- Expertise in performing concept development, strategic planning, requirements development, market research, technology feasibility and evolution studies, and acquisition support.
- Demonstrated record of strong multidisciplinary technical team leadership.
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate across projects to ensure synchronized MITRE Critical Program outcomes.
- Demonstrated ability to work with sponsors at a senior level to identify key technical problems and opportunities.
- Demonstrated competency in technical fields that are critical to the program’s success (e.g., Nuclear Domain, Modeling and tools, Systems Engineering).
- Experience in the design lifecycle of DoD systems.
- Proven track record to try new things and achieve significant work program, sponsor, or organizational outcomes.
- Motivation to expand knowledge and skills and assume responsibility.
- An active TS/SCI clearance is desirable.
- Domain experience in VLF and strategic systems.
- Domain knowledge of nuclear command, control and communications (NC3) weapon system and NC3 Enterprise.
- Leading multi-disciplinary engineering teams on high profile, schedule compressed programs.
- Experience with capabilities trade analysis, mission analysis, information assurance, systems integration, and understanding of the relationships between operational, technical, and system’s architectures.
This requisition requires the candidate to have a minimum of the following clearance(s): Secret
This requisition requires the hired candidate to have or obtain, within one year from the date of hire, the following clearance(s): Top Secret/SCI
Subject to all federal and state laws, rules and regulations, MITRE requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Newly hired employees must be fully vaccinated prior to their employment start date. MITRE will provide reasonable accommodation to individuals who are legally entitled to an exemption under applicable laws so long as it does not create an undue hardship for MITRE and/or does not pose a direct threat to the health or safety of the employee or others in the workplace.
MITRE is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. MITRE recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of age; ancestry; color; family medical or genetic information; gender identity and expression; marital, military, or veteran status; national and ethnic origin; physical or mental disability; political affiliation; pregnancy; race; religion; sex; sexual orientation; and any other protected characteristics. For further information please visit the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission website , and .
MITRE intends to maintain a website that is fully accessible to all individuals. If you are unable to search or apply for jobs and would like to request a reasonable accommodation for any part of MITRE’s employment process, please contact MITRE’s Recruiting Help Line at 703-983-8226 or email at [email protected]
Copyright © 1997-2021, The MITRE Corporation. All rights reserved. MITRE is a registered trademark of The MITRE Corporation. Material on this site may be copied and distributed with permission only. Benefits information may be found
Location: Bedford, MA
Job date: Sat, 18 Jun 2022 00:15:53 GMT