Job title: 3M HIS Natural Language Understanding Engineer – REMOTE USA
Job description: Job Description:
3M HIS Natural Language Understanding Engineer – REMOTE USA
Collaborate with Innovative 3Mers Around the World
Choosing where to start and grow your career has a major impact on your professional and personal life, so it’s equally important you know that the company that you choose to work at, and its leaders, will support and guide you. With a diversity of people, global locations, technologies and products, 3M is a place where you can collaborate with 96,000 other curious, creative 3Mers.
“For more than 30 years at 3M, I’ve seen firsthand how it’s a place where curious, creative and collaborative people thrive and build a rewarding career. As a leader in this company, my goal is to ensure each 3Mer sees and feels the positive impact we’re making around the world” – Mike Roman, chief executive officer and chairman of the board at 3M
This position provides an opportunity to transition from other private, public, government or military environments to a 3M career.
The Impact You’ll Make in this Role
As a NLU Engineer, you will have the opportunity to tap into your curiosity and collaborate with some of the most innovative and diverse people around the world. Here, you will make an impact by:
- Support clinical NLU (Natural Language Understanding) system by adding capabilities
- Improving grammars and parsers
- Determine solutions and priorities for NLU issues and enhancement requests
- Implement and test solutions in coordination with clinical, technical, and business teams
- Collaborate with various teams in order to troubleshoot and fix NLU-related issues and generally improve our NLU
- Able to work independently as well as part of the team, depending on the problem at hand
Your Skills and Expertise
To set you up for success in this role from day one, 3M requires (at a minimum) the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher from (completed and verified prior to start) from an accredited institution
- High School Diploma/GED or higher from a (completed and verified prior to start) and six (6) combined years of experience in software or linguistics
- Two (2) years of experience in a software environment
- Experience with Java and/or Python (preferably both)
- Experience with context-free grammars and parsing, corpus analysis, data annotation AND/OR medical coding and documentation
Additional qualifications that could help you succeed even further in this role include:
- Degree in Linguistics or Computational Linguistics Knowledge of UNIX/Linux operating systems, development environments and tools
- Good knowledge of regular expressions
- Must be a team player and have strong written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with GitHub (merge / resolve conflicts) or other version control
- Experience with XML
- Experience with AWS
- While coding will not be the primary task for this position, sufficient Java and Python knowledge for reading and understanding code, as well as making feature changes when needed, is necessary to be successful in this position
Relocation Assistance: May be authorized
Location: Remote USA
Must be legally authorized to work in country of employment without sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H1B status).
Supporting Your Well-being
3M offers many programs to help you live your best life – both physically and financially. To ensure competitive pay and benefits, 3M regularly benchmarks with other companies that are comparable in size and scope.
Resources for You
For more details on what happens before, during and after the interview process, check out the Insights for Candidates page at 3M.com/careers.
Learn more about 3M’s creative solutions to the world’s problems at www.3M.com or on Twitter @3M.
Responsibilities of this position include that corporate policies, procedures and security standards are complied with while performing assigned duties.
Our approach to flexibility is called Work Your Way, which puts employees first and drives well-being in ways that enable 3M’s business and performance goals. You have flexibility in where and when work gets done. It all depends on where and when you can do your best work.
Pay & Benefits Overview: https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/careers-us/working-at-3m/benefits/
3M is an equal opportunity employer. 3M will not discriminate against any applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status.
Please note: your application may not be considered if you do not provide your education and work history, either by: 1) uploading a resume, or 2) entering the information into the application fields directly.
Please access the linked document by clicking select the country where you are applying for employment, and review. Before submitting your application you will be asked to confirm your agreement with the terms.
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Job date: Thu, 01 Sep 2022 22:37:54 GMT